Saturday, October 13, 2007

Don't Mess with Texas!


Last weekend, myself and 116 of my closest Marriott School MBA friends headed down to Houston, Texas for the National Society of Hispanic MBA (NSHMBA) annual conference. Over the last few years NSHMBA has developed a reputation for being THE job fair for b-school students. It did not disappoint. More than 300 companies were there recruiting for internships and full-time positions and more than 8000 students were there to network/schmooze/work-it and try to get that once in a lifetime job or internship opportunity.

Here are some of the highlights:

The Show Floor.





The off-the-hook Target party.










And the aftermath of being on your feet (in heels) all days for two days...



(Yep those are our feet soaking in the bathtub).

We had a fantastic time during out 48 hours in H-town. I interviewed with three companies, talked to countless more, and got to meet some awesome MBA students from other schools. It was well worth the money, time and extra stress. Plus, more than anything else and most importantly, it really forced me to get myself into the finding-a-job mindset. We did mock interviews during orientation but nothing prepared me for the real thing.

I'm still waiting to hear how some of my leads from the conference will pan out. But even if I don't get an internship directly from NSHMBA, I know the experience I gained will play a large role in the internship I eventually land. It was valuable just from a personal and professional development perspective and I'm already thinking ahead to next year about ways that I can make it even more valuable.

Also, there is also one more thing I learned that I will carry with me throughout my life....

No comments: